Where we came from and where we have been.
In 1935, Gold Medal Credit Union was established to serve the employees and families of Gold Medal Flour Mill. Service later expanded in the 1970s to serve all General Mills employees, retirees, and their families. When the credit union became federally chartered in 1992, the name was changed to General Mills Federal Credit Union (GMFCU).
In 2001, General Mills bought the Pillsbury Company. This change paved the way for GMFCU to merge with Pillar Federal Credit Union, which served Pillsbury employees. After the merger was completed March 2002, GMFCU continued to serve all new employees while maintaining membership for anyone served by either credit union in the past.
On October 1, 2014, General Mills Federal Credit Union was re-named Mill City Credit Union and converted back to its roots as a state charter. Along with General Mills employees, retirees and their families nationwide, the credit union expanded to serve individuals who live, work, worship, volunteer or attend school in Carver, Hennepin, Meeker, McLeod, and Wright counties in Minnesota.
With over 80 years of service, we’re focused on helping and strengthening the lives of people in our community.
Today, Mill City Credit Union continues with the commitment it was founded on in 1935. As a not-for-profit cooperative, earnings are returned to members in the form of higher-interest savings and lower-rate loans. Mill City Credit Union remains dedicated to nourishing the future and strengthening the financial lives of their members by providing exceptional service and delivery, while remaining true to the credit union philosophy: to focus on the people, not the profit.